Thursday, October 19, 2023

The end is nigh?

All I wanted was a little five hour nap. We have construction going on right outside our house. It's loud, and every, now and then the house is vibrating. Mom is not happy. She said maybe it's her tinnitus that makes her extra nervous about those noises. I would have slept just fine through construction, but her being so jumpy made me jumpy, so I had to retreat to the library. It's one of my favorite spots. Fake fur, very comfy and, most important, usually rather quiet because der Dekan likes to stick to Mom like gum to a shoe.


Then I heard Mom in the kitchen and now she really didn't sound happy.
Next thing I know is a furry lightning disappearing under my TV chair.
"Is she coming?"


"Oh Dekan, what did you do now?"
"I threw the peeler off the counter."
"And?"
"And it broke."
"You broke Mom's bunny peeler??"
"It wasn't on purpose. How was I supposed to know it would break?"
"As if you even cared."
"You are right, I don't. For me everything is a toy. Nothing wrong about that, is there?"
"Mom loved that peeler. She got it as an extra with a cat food order and she absolutely loved how it felt in her hand and how well it peeled. That was 13 years ago or maybe even longer. She had hated all peelers before that. You are in trouble, dude."
Could this be the straw that broke the camel's back? Would she finally make good on all her threats and evict the little punk?
"I'm already in trouble and don't know why. Did you see what she bought 'especially for you, my little Dekan'? Low-fat food!!"
"But the good one. Maybe you shouldn't steal my food all the time."
"I'm from a farm. I was a tiny baby and very hungry."
"Not a tiny baby anymore. I came from the streets and was really skinny, but I know how to leave kibbles in the bowl for later. No one's going to take them away. No one except you!"
"I leave some of the new food in the bowl."
"For a while, yes. And then you eat them AND steal my leftovers. Another thing, maybe you should calm down about that kitchen kickboard. You know Mom hates having to get down and up and down and up."
"It's art."

Wanna see art?
One broken peeler (sorry about the bad picture, it was an emotional moment).


And here's the artist posing with his other work (yes, those are door stoppers, no, they don't help, but at least they keep the board from crashing loudly, another thing Mom's tinnitus can't stand ;-))


You can still bet on Mom throwing him out or not, by the way. What do you say?

5 comments:

  1. I totally say let's keep him and buy mom a new peeler (hey, mom, 13 years is a good age to let the old peeler rest). I'm not sure if I understand about those door stoppers, but poor Dekan and his low-fat food got me. Please, mom, let's keep him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually Mom already ordered a black cat peeler - looking like a black cat, not to peel me - so let's hope it will work as well as the bunny.
      Poor Dekan, my foot. Mom had hoped that the stoppers would be heavy enough to discourage den Dekan from pulling the board out. He, however, first pulls on the stoppers and then on the board. Since he doesn't pull them away far enough, though, (yet?) he can still pull the board, but it does at least not fall to the ground anymore which was always very loud. Maybe she needs 20 more, lol. She thought she was so clever.

      At the moment, it doesn't look as if he's going anywhere. He's sleeping on Mom's feet and it seems she's fine with that.

      Delete
  2. Both are artists in their own way, they always end up finding each other :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An artist friend said der Dekan has a deconstructionist style. I guess it sounds better than destructive.

      Delete